Sunday, May 16, 2010

rainbow crochet blanket Part 1

When I visited my Oma last Easter she gave me ALL of her wool collection... little new balls, teeny hand wound balls, massive hand wound balls, new 100% wool balls, thick 20 ply (! i know) wool, alpacca wool balls... it goes on and on... and yes... my smile gets bigger and bigger each time I look at them ;)

The dilemma = What to make? I really want to use them and not have them just sit in a dark cupboard for the next 5 years. Initially I thought I would attempt to get rid of all those pesky small handwound balls, but the colours weren't quite bright enough together. So.. I'm using some of my own wool and Oma's and have started making something like this vintage vertica blanket over here at Bella Dia, discovered via Lucy at attic24.
It will be my first attempt at a rainbow blanket. I started sorting the colours into shades - you can see the blue toned beginnings of the blanket in the basket. I have high hopes of the colours merging together smoothly. Fingers crossed!

ps: Is it possible that looking at our coffee table smothered with coloured wool over the last 2 days has made me a happier person? I think it is! :)

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I do think that is totally possible! All those gorgeous colours are very inspiring. I just taught myself to crochet a motif using Attic 24 tutorial & I loved her blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. will look fabulous, looking forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It made me happy just looking at the photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel :) I was recently given some tins full of doilies to embroider that I have been talking about on my blog! (Click the label 'Tins' to see what I have posted so far) . As to the coffee table.....definitely a good cuppa missing....lol...!!! Happy crafting, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous collection. You have more wool than anyone could possibly need in their lifetime. Do you feel like crocheting me a flower of approximately 5cm round. I have tried to have a look at tute's but I can really do nothing but straight lines :( I am not a crochet brain just yet, one day maybe I'll get my head around it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great collection of wool Trace! There's something about a multitude of bright colours that creates a bit of happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous colours mmmmmm how i love yarny eye candy!!!!!!!!
    :o)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete