Some problems arose with the edging. The cream wool I wanted to use up from my Oma was a lower ply than the majority of the wool I used for the stripes - this meant the edge pulled tightly and puckered the stripes.
I set to crocheting multiple border rows in all sorts of patterns (dc increase, 4 dc, dc increase, 4 cd... ) and pulling out each row, a variety of bad mannered words were uttered (The Boy chuckling at how wool and a hook can make one so frustrated) ... finally I tested a pattern and went with that, not caring too much by this time as to how it would turn out. I also tried little picot stitches but they didn't look pretty.... I decided a plain-Jane edge was best beside all those psychedelic colours.
I am really happy with it. It's a lovely size for a baby blanket. The Boy has asked for an 'adult' sized blanket. I am always worried I will get bored and give up mid-way, but I really enjoyed making this one... so might give it a go.
Thank you muchly for all of your kind comments during the making process :)